Monday, February 02, 2009

I Can't Remember What I Forgot!

I got slammed by the anesthesiologist today.

Not in a bad way - but in a wow-I-know-I-learned-this-at-some-point-but-I-can't-for-the-life-of-me-remember-the-answer sort of way. It made me realize that I need to go back and review basic physiology.

When on medical rotations, you sort of get into a groove. Everyone gives (well, most of the time) Versed, Fentanyl, and Propofol to put people to sleep. Then we use Sux before we intubate. I can pretty much guess the exact drug the doc is going to pick.....but today he asked me "why?". Darn.....he had to ask that question. So there I go, searching for the answer in the only book I carry these days.....my Emergency Medicine Manual. Guess what? An appropriate answer can't be found there.

Needless to say, I have done a lot of reading up on my anesthesia drugs tonight. Hopefully I'll have the correct answer in the morning!

No comments: