Sunday, March 22, 2009

See For Yourself!!!

My blogger has been messed up for a while. Or, should I say, I might have messed it up myself! Regardless, I haven't been getting emailed when people leave comments on my blog. Thank you for those of you who check up on me and have left kind comments! I appreciate your support and enjoyed finally reading those comments tonight! I think I have the settings changed and hopefully will receive notification a little sooner in the future!

While my comments were messed up, some of you stumbled upon "D.O. vs M.D." Congratulations - some of you have now become COMPLETE IDIOTS in my mind...not deserving the white coat you are gloriously sporting around.

I'd like to introduce you, kind readers, to Idiots 1, 2, and 3 in the comment section of this infamous blog.


And I quote:

Idiot 1 says: I am a clinician, and DOs spent their time manipulating while MDs learned how to treat the patient properly. DOs do not know what they are doing.
12:50 AM, September 13, 2008
Idiot 2 says: i have no confidence in d o s. They are mostly poorly qualified undergrads or professionals that want to be doctors. This is their only path.
12:39 PM, November 14, 2008
Idiot 3 says: DOs seem to be called second rate Doctors. They are wannabe MDs. I would have my health checked with a MD rather than a a glorified DO who wants to be called an MD. MDs are more skilled, properly trained and have excelled in School/Residency. It is clear that you get into MD program because you have done well in School. I can sleep better knowing well that an MD is taking care of me.
3:52 AM, November 16, 2008
It is quite clear why D.O.'s have such an uphill battle when there are people out there who truly believe the above comments. I have one word: KARMA. Someday, you will get sick. Someday, the doctor who comes into your room to take care of you may have the letters D.O. behind their name. Someday, one of your family members will be treated by a D.O. in the emergency room (maybe me!). Someday, you will feel like the idiot you are for writing these comments.

I have NEVER spoken negatively about M.D.'s. Go ahead and read every single one of my blogs and you will see this. Like I have said in multiple posts, there are good doctors and bad doctors...regardless of their distinction. The above comments are what I would like to call "bad doctors". The sort of people who are on their high horse and loving every minute.

If you 100% want to stand behind the comments you are making, why post the comments anonymously? Take ownership for your beliefs. Let my readers see the kind of comments that are thrown at D.O.s every single day.

We are definitely the underdogs...yes we are. But guess what? That is the position I'd love to be every single day!

If you are a pre-med student applying to medical school, GOOD LUCK!!! Whether you choose D.O. vs M.D. is up to you. Make the choice that is right for you. Don't let the above idiots sway your beliefs. I can only vouch for my own experience in a D.O. school - and I can honestly say that I have LOVED every single minute of my time. I feel like my education can stand up to any M.D. out there. And, no M.D. out there should take offense to that comment.

We are all in the same career for the same reason - because we want to make sick people better, because we want to be a part of life's greatest miracles, because we want to make a difference. In the end, it doesn't matter what letter distinction we have - we are trying to accomplish the same goal. Shouldn't we be more concerned about our patients and less concerned about letters? My original post was not a "Battle of the Letters" but rather a blog distinguishing the 2 for my curious readers. Instead, it turned into a hotspot for anonymous people to slam my profession.

In closing, please read what this AWESOME M.D. has to say - someone who is truly deserving of the long white coat he or she is wearing:

Awesome M.D. says: I got my MD last year at Harvard and my twin sister got her DO at VCOM about the same time. Since grade school I have always been behind her academically... and so was my MCAT. Just because I have the letters MD next to my name does it mean I have the right to look down on DOs or any other profession... or any other human being? For those low life MDs who look down on DOs and other human being, I want to let you know that you don't deserve to wear that white coat. And for your information, you low life MDs, my sister got 36 for her MCAT and 3.91 overall GPA for undergrad...she rejected Johns Hopkin and Yale MD programs for VCOM DO because Hopkin and Yale's interview only mention about her research and her scores instead of her personality and the caring aspects of a physician.
8:14 AM, January 12, 2009

1 comment:

Sunny said...

D.O's may face an uphill battle but I strongly believe that it's a battle thats being fought in our rearview mirrors. While we are are allowed to have differences in opinion when it comes to patient care and the approach we may take, but that isn't really any different from the differences I may have with another MD.

As an MD student, I've always found the DO vs. MD battle to be fought in the minds of undergrads that lack a) the maturity to appreciate that our job is to heal not to flaunt degrees and b) the experience to understand that medicine is a team effort. It requires physicians, physician assistants, nurses, dieticians, nutritionists and yes, the patient - to improve the health and well being of any one individual. The three folks you mentioned are more than likely of an older generation or completely out of tune with the needs of their patients.