Wednesday, May 06, 2009

2 1/2 Weeks!

I can't believe that 4 years of medical school is done.

It has actually been done since April 17 when I finished rotations...and today is May 6...but who's counting?

It hit me today when I received a letter in the mail that was addressed to "Dr. _____, D.O." instead of "______, MSIV" (which stands for "medical student, 4th year.) Some people have started to jokingly call me "Dr. ____". I laugh and tell them that I will always be the same person and it is unnecessary to call me "Doctor". Inside, I'm beaming. I love the sound of "Doctor". (Sorry...probably tooting my own horn...but this has always been an honest blog.)

I don't like the sound of "Doctor" because of the uppity-ness of it. I don't like "Doctor" because it means I am better. I'm no better than anyone. I don't even like "Doctor" because it sounds prestigious.

Darn it, I just know how dang hard I have worked to become a doctor! To me, "Doctor" sounds like an accomplishment; a goal that was set and met. In fact, it has been the hardest thing I have ever worked for and achieved. (Kickboxing my way back into shape is a close 2nd...but I haven't achieved my goal yet!)

Graduation is May 23. I will be so excited to see my classmates and celebrate such a wonderful time. When I'm standing on stage, finally being hooded, I'm sure a tear will drop from my eye.

1 comment:

Harold Maesulia said...

Hi ,

Name is Harold Maesulia and I'm a 2nd yr MBBS student at a medical school in Fiji in the south Pacific.

Love reading your blog.

I find it really hard to get along with school work.

Visit my blog and I'd love to hear more from you cos I want to finish my course.

http://tolomedics.blogpot.com

Thanks

Harold Maesulia