Thursday, July 02, 2009

Treading Water

Well, I'm treading water.

I didn't get "pushed in" and I didn't "drown"...yet....but I jumped in on my own will and have been treading water for the past two days.

Actually, my first two days have been quite uneventful...quite boring in fact. I haven't gotten to scrub for surgeries (since I am an emergency medicine resident, it means that I don't get to scrub in....only the ortho residents do). It also means that I am at the paging will of the people above me. And since the ortho service is pretty slow, I haven't been getting paged. I've been down on two consults in the ER....and they have turned out to be my favorite parts of the past two days. The rest of the time I have walked around the hospital with the other two interns on the service trying to figure out what we are supposed to be doing. Now that I'm getting paid, it feels like I should be working...not walking.

The people on the service have been really nice. I like the senior resident with us - he is really laid back - and even apologized for not having anything for us to do yesterday (even though I had to stay still 6:45pm!). Today was not quite as bad...they finally told me to leave around 3:30. I've got to round this weekend though.....and it is the 4th of July. BUMMER!

Hope everyone has a good 4th!!! I hope rounds don't last too long!!!

No comments: